The Principle that Helped a Family of 6 Survive a LAY OFF and Recession!
FROM Tragedy to TESTIMONY
Last year January, my husband was suddenly laid off from his job and left our family of 6 WORRIED, CONFUSED and SCARED! Two of our children were in Private School, one child went to school outside of our state, and we had a lifestyle in place for them that required two incomes. It cut deep, we were left scrambling about what to do next, how we were going to survive without losing our home, car, food, electricity, etc. It was something that we did not foresee and we were not prepared for the amount of time that he has been out of work. Everything that I knew had suddenly disappeared and I had to be prepared to take the helm, whether I was ready or not.
Now, I have to be transparent here, my initial reaction was a fearful one. I was SCARED!! Looking in my children’s eyes and giving them the harsh realities we’d be facing wasn’t easy. The overload of responsibility bore on my shoulders. I was STUCK, in turmoil and indecisive about my next moves. I’d already starting moving in a new direction for my business and was looking forward to leaving my consulting gig in 2010. The thought of not following through tore me apart but the exhaustion from work, business, learning curves, family, household, being a wife, etc… left my soul feeling dried out and constantly in survival mode. BUT no matter the inner conflict or turmoil, there’s one thing I knew for sure—we WILL make it. Not only will we MAKE it, we will be in better place by the end of the year than we are now. The only question to ask was HOW!
I immediately received an answer. LEARN TO BE FLEXIBLE! Put all the fear and worldly tactics aside, LISTEN and I will bring you through! Be flexible with your plans, take care of what’s most important to you now, work in your season, your worries will dissipate and your Good will come. In order to do this I had to trust and be flexible. It would be a bold faced lie to tell you that I just changed my beliefs and my life overnight. Honestly, there were some beliefs, issues, patterns, and self-imposed limitations that I just did not eradicate quick enough. But I knew enough to at least be flexible with what I wasn’t able to immediately change UNTIL I came to the point that I could make the necessary changes.
Physical and Mental Flexibility gave me the ability to:
1. Release the fear, worry and stress that kept me up at night
2. Re Work my plan
3. Release beating up on myself and my husband
4. Be open to operating other Principles in my life
5. Let go of beliefs that caused me to judge my situation and kept me stuck
6. Choose a NEW response to this “life change” and function outside of the box
7. Explore what I was good at and monetize it
8. Tell the TRUTH about and RELEASE whatever I wasn’t a match for
9. Renegotiate a contract that I formerly thought was etched in stone (received a HUGE increase)
10. Release what other people thought I should/could be doing and allowed myself to follow my Guide
11. Release the URGENCY that the outside world put on me and allowed myself to experience the nurturing and loving God that is always there.
12. Enjoy LIFE without regrets
13. Take a TIME OUT when I needed one
14. Allow blessings to flow into our LIVES
15. Stay focused on my values and focus on what was going to GROW all of us
16. Move into a Beautiful HOME just 8 months after my husband was laid off
17. Blow the roof off of what I thought was impossible and know that I M POSSIBLE!
There is INDEED POWER in FLEXIBILITY!